Thursday 27 October 2011

Crazy Old Man # N

Written From: Sierre (occurred in Hanover)


He’s wearing a backwards sea-captains hat, yet I’m the weird one. His wife shouts german disapproval at him, which he dismisses as rudely as it was given. I understand enough to get the gist of how she is insulting him and me, but mostly him for engaging me; I am not offended…I know what I look like (I was fresh from the farm at this point, so filthy to say the least).


We discuss much in our short train ride, mostly in german, but he dropped this gem on me in english:


“Nobody’s perfect. I’m nobody.”


This was in direct response to my telling him that I’m an english teacher (obviously). He makes me promise to remember it. Then gives me the “word-is-bond” shake twice as he leaves the train (this is when you connect hands at the area of a normal handshake, but instead your hand is above your elbow with fingers and thumbs gripping upwardly; it is usually followed by a one-arm embrace).


I’ll remember every bit of it; you will take a high seat in my memory with the other crazy old men I’ve encountered.


Blog #7. 14th Day, 28th Year. Complete.


Retrospection: I’m not sure if the origin of this gesture is Italian or French, but putting your finger tips to your puckered lips, cocking your head slightly, and pulling them away, while spreading them and giving a loud kiss sound is an international way to positively describe women, locations, food and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment